Hi Chai Lovers!
We had a lot of great feedback from our first Monk's Chai Sweet Potato Pie. As promised we've come back this week with our 100% Vegan version.
I was brainstorming the best method to replace the dairy items in my original recipe and I was a little worried about using coconut oil and coconut milk because I thought it would overpower the pie flavour. Lucky for me, that wasn't the case. There is a hint of coconut but the silky richness of the sweet potato and the spice in the chai is the dominant flavour in this recipe.
Our vegan version uses Coconut Milk in place of heavy cream, Flax eggs in place of eggs and Deodorised Coconut oil in place of butter. We used a coconut oil-based pie crust recipe that we borrowed from our friends at Rhubarb Rhubarb Organics in Preston. It turned out sensational!
Try it out and please let us know if you enjoy it.
Monk's Chai Sweet Potato Pie + Rhubarb Rhubarb's Vegan Pie Crust
- Read packet description on How to make a hero-dose Chai Latte. Drink it and read through the rest of the ingredients and directions. Save the chai you've strained off.
- Make pie dough. Rhubarb Rhubarb's Recipe is below.
- Preprepare Flax Eggs. My recipe below
- Boil potatoes. Boil the sweet potatoes until the skins are to come off and the potatoes are very soft, about 45-50 minutes. Add in leftover Chai for the final 15 minutes of boiling
- Prepare pie dough. Roll out the pie dough, then carefully tuck into your pie dish. Trim dough, then flute the edges.
- Ready your potatoes. Peel off the skin– which slides right off because the potatoes have boiled, then cut into large chunks and place into mixing bowl. Smash your sweet potatoes with a fork before beating in the other ingredients. It will only make it smoother and creamier.
- Prepare the filling. Add remaining filling ingredients to the sweet potatoes. Beat with your hand mixer until smooth, spread into prepared pie crust.
- Bake. Like the non-vegan version pie will take about an hour in the oven until the centre is cooked through. You can do the toothpick test. and it should come out clean, mostly... It'll jiggle a little in the centre. Cool for at least one hour before serving.
- Serve. Top with whipped coconut cream or serve with vegan vanilla ice cream. Yum!!!!
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Preprepared pie crust(full recipe makes 2 crusts– see notes below)
- 1 lb (500g) sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 2 tbsp (30g) monk's chai
- 1/2 cup (115g) deodorised coconut oil, softened to room temp
- 1 cup (200g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 (120ml) cup Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream
- 2 flax eggs recipe below
- 2 Tablespoons plain / all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of fine ground salt
- optional: Whipped coconut cream
- Pre-prepare Rhubarb Rhubarb's simple pie crust included below
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover them with water, then bring to a boil on the stovetop. Boil for 45-50 minutes, or until super soft. Add in monk's chai during the final 15 minutes of boiling. During this time, begin step 3.
- Prepare Rhubarb Rhubarb's easy Vegan Pie Crust Recipe below.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Drain the boiling water and throw out the used chai. Run the potatoes under very cold water for a moment. The skin should peel off easily at this point. Allow cooling until easy to handle. Slice the potatoes into large chunks, then place into a mixing bowl. Smash with a fork!
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a whisk, beat the potatoes on medium-high speed until very smooth. Add the remaining ingredients (down to the egg wash) and beat on high speed until smooth. Spread filling into your prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the center of the pie is only slightly jiggly. A toothpick inserted into the center of the pie should come out mostly clean.
- Place your pie on a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 1 hour at room temperature before serving. The pie will filling will slightly shrink as it cools.
Rhubarb Rhubarb's Vegan Pie Crust
1 Cup + 2 Tbsp All purpose Flour
1/4 cup Coconut Oil ( I used deodorised )
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
3-4 Tbsp Ice Water
Place the flour, sugar and salt into a food processor and pulse to combine.
Add coconut oil ( must be solid, not melted) and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
Add 3 Tbsp ice water and pulse to combine.
Remove the dough from the food processor and transfer to a floured surface.
Roll the dough into a ball
Using a rolling pin, roll it out into a round flat piece of dough large enough to cover the inside and sides of your pie dish.
Carefully place in dough in the pie dish and trim of excess dough.
Place your pie crust in the fridge while you finish making your filling.
John's Vegan Flax Egg- Yields 2 eggs
2 heaped Tbsp of flax seeds
4 Tbsp of water
Method: Grind flax seeds using a mortar and pestle blender or food processor.
Once ground place in a cup with water and mix with a spoon. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Add to the recipe with all of your wet ingredients
I can't wait to hear all of the feedback after you give it a try. Thanks so much for all the love for Monk's Chai!
[[ recipeID=recipe-akv6co9zp, title=Monk's Chai Sweet Potato Pie ]]