You won’t miss the eggs with this easy and delicious plant-based Monk's Chai French toast recipe. The nutritional yeast adds depth and a somewhat eggy note to this sweet and spicy recipe. It's fantastic served with a few slices of banana of a handful of berries on top. It’s crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and makes the perfect breakfast.
- 1 cup (240ml) BonSoy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 Tbsp Monk's Chai
- 4 Tbsp Chickpea Flour (or sub plain flour)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon ( Cause you can never have enough)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (or use 1/4 tsp black salt and 1/4 tsp regular salt)*
- 6 Slices Bread (thickly sliced)* Slightly older bread is perfect! We used the Fruit Loaf from Piggery at Burnham Beeches. It was a winner.
- Coconut oil (for frying)*
- Brew 2 Tbsp of Monks Chai on low heat in 1 cup of Bonsoy for about 4 minutes. Strain the chai and keep brewed chai to the side for step 2.
- Add the chickpea flour (or all purpose flour if you’re using) to a shallow bowl and add just a dash of your brewed Chai and mix in until smooth. Then add the rest of the brewed Chai.
- Add the nutritional yeast, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt and whisk together.
- Heat up a frying pan with some coconut oil.
- Soak a slice of bread in the batter for a few seconds on each side, and then place onto the frying pan to cook until browned on each side.
- Plate up and enjoy with an extra mug of Monk's Chai to wash it down
[[ recipeID=recipe-8kv7m7jvj, title=Monk's Chai Vegan French Toast ]]